THE AMERICAN FEDERATION of Teachers, the 1.7-million member teachers union, issued guidance Wednesday for how and when schools should safely reopen, slamming President Donald Trump for his comments to governors suggesting they look at opening schools.
“Our blueprint serves as a stark contrast to the conflicting guidance, bluster and lies of the Trump administration,” said AFT president Randi Weingarten.
The 20-page guidance, which Weingarten said would evolve as the status of the coronavirus epidemic evolves, includes five major recommendations:
- Maintaining physical distancing until the number of new cases declines for at least 14 consecutive days.
- Establishing the infrastructure and resources to test, trace and isolate new cases.
- Deploying the public health tools that prevent the virus’ spread.
- Including workers, unions and parents in all planning in order to tackle each community’s unique challenges related to COVID-19.
- Continued federal, state and local investment in public schools.